The Gazette - August 2015
Edited by Julie Leonard
The views expressed in the Gazette do not necessarily reflect the policies or views of the BCA, nor those of the editor.
More Junior News
Friendly Training Game in April 2015: Charlie `The Director` Wicks (No grade as yet) v Owen Phillips (2019)
1. g3 d5 2. Bg2 c6 3. Nh3 Charlie likes the White Crazy Kat idea of putting his knight on f2 with a `fianchettoed Bishop’ and a relatively safe castled king! I figured I might as well try to take the centre.
3. … e5 4. f3 Nf6 5. d3 Bd6 Ok I have more space, but White proceeds carefully and inventively!
6. c3 Be6 Marginally better was 0-0 but I fancied giving White a more open game to challenge.
7. Ng5 Bf5 8. e4 Bg6 9. Be3 h6 10. Nh3 Qc7 11. Nd2 Charlie said that at this point he was still considering 0-0-0 in a few moves’ time which would have been complex, and gives you an idea about how innovative he can be!
11. ...Nbd7 12. a3 0-0 13. 0–0 a5 14. b4 Less weakening was Qe2.
14. ... c5 15. b5 d4 16. cxd4 cxd4 17. Bf2 Nc5 18. Nc4 Rac8 19. b6! A typically imaginative try by Charlie!
19. ... Qb8 20. f4 Bh5 21. Qc2 Ng4
Our lesson ended here as this was our second game after some initial problem training. Hopefully you can see plenty of exciting ideas from Charlie here. He sometimes beats Jonny de Ste Croix, who has a Rapidplay grade of 72. So there is an encouraging depth emerging among BCA Juniors!
In other Junior news, Claremont Primary School’s chess team won the English Champions League for Primary Schools with Efe Shimwell playing on top board! Clearly the training and Efe’s dedication is paying off!