Full membership is open to any visually impaired person while fully sighted friends and family are welcome to join as associate members. The fees are as follows:
- Under 25 with a visual impairment – FREE
- Under 18 with no visual impairment – FREE
- 1 year full or associate – £10
- 5 years full or associate – £20
- Life membership full or associate – £50
Please contact us if you’re interested in joining!
You can pay for membership by bank transfer using the following details:
Account name: Braille Chess Association
Sort code: 40 52 40
Account number: 00082456
To pay by cheque please contact our treasurer or call 0153 837 1466 .
All members receive
- Four issues of the BCA gazette per annum.
- Eligibility to play in our email, correspondence and virtual events.
- Subsidised accommodation for our over the board events.
Visually impaired UK resident members also receive
- Free chess coaching.
- Subsidised adapted chess sets and clocks.
- Free entry for their first BCA tournament, together with either free accommodation for a weekend event or a £100 reduction for a one week event. They may also be accompanied by a guide or companion who, in appropriate circumstances, will receive the same concession.
- Access to our library of accessible chess materials.
- Financial support to assist with the travel and accommodation costs when attending mainstream congresses.
- The possibility of being selected to represent the BCA in events in the UK and overseas. Generous financial support is given to those selected to play abroad.
- For further information read more in About Us or email our membership secretary.
Visually impaired UK resident members who are under 25 years old also receive:
- Free entry and free accommodation when competing in BCA events.
- In some circumstances the parent or guardian of a visually impaired child may also receive free accommodation.
- Other benefits such as: the provision of chess equipment or coaching, at the discretion of the committee.
We hope to see you soon in our association!